Introduction to Screenprinting
Limited class size. Restricted to residents of Vancouver Island and BC until further notice.
In this two-day workshop, students learn the “8 basic steps of screenprinting”, with hands-on experience, including how to:
- make art
- coat screens
- burn stencils
- set up a multicolour job
No experience necessary!
Who is this course for?
This course is for those new to printing, those looking for a refresher, and those interested in comparing their own methods and learn new ones. With up-to-date techniques, this course aims to make you more efficient and give you better printing results.
This course is all about hands-on learning the basic fundamentals of screenprinting with photostencils using water-based inks. With a range of manual and automatic equipment, this is also a great opportunity to play with different presses if you are planning to upgrade or expand your own print facility.
- Art and Film prep
- Screens: mesh, emulsion, exposure, reclaiming
- Inks: mixing, thinning, additives
- Make Ready and Registration
- Printing Techniques on various materials using different textile and graphic presses
- Studio tour
- Introduction to the 8 Basic Steps of Screen Printing
- Stencil-making: materials, tools, and film
- Screens: coating, exposing, and reclaiming
- Pull your first print; see the relationships between the various elements of the screen printing process and how they all work together.
- Students create and print their own simple designs
- We make an attempt to accommodate small runs of art prints, textiles, or other materials.
We have your back!
Having trouble printing at your own home or studio? Feel free to bring samples and we can dissect problems and offer solutions to a range of issues.
We are committed to helping you continue to print after you have finished the course; this includes teaching how to make simple presses, exposing frames, and washout booths to use at home or in your own studio.
Local? Our studio is available to rent for small batch production after you have taken the basics course and demonstrated proficiency on the equipment.
This price includes materials and the book Screenprinting Today, the Basics. Transportation and accommodation are not included, but we will happily help you find both.
$50 non-refundable deposit is required to hold a place. Full payment is due two weeks prior unless other arrangements are made. You will be refunded or rebooked to another date if the course is cancelled due to low enrolment.
Bring a friend and save! Two or more people booking the course get $25 off for each additional person.
Wachiay Studio is located in Courtenay, BC on beautiful Vancouver Island. Learn more about the Comox Valley.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-871-0118.